Friday, May 27, 2011

Gadget Tips You May Not Know

Every once in awhile, I come across a simple little tip or trick that makes life so much easier. Sometimes it involves cleaning something in my house or caring for my yard, something that had taken me tedious hours before, and I just didn't know that someone made a gadget or tool or product that would take care of my problem in seconds.

One of the most recent times involved replacing my car's dead battery. I struggled for a long time trying to get it out, but it just wouldn't budge. I finally called my Dad to ask if he would come help. It turns out that he has a tool especially for doing what I was trying to do that I had no idea even existed. It took him seconds to get the battery removed and replaced. (Thanks Dad!)

Many times, when I come across something new like that, I wonder what other things there are in the world that I don't yet know about. What other holes in my knowledge are there?

Apparently, I am not the only one this happens to. David Pogue, the author of a helpful article from the New York Times, titled "Ins and Outs of Using Gadgetry," writes about simple "how to" stuff for your electronic gadgets that you may have missed in your comings and goings.

He poses the question, "How is the average person supposed to know the essentials of their phones, cameras and computers? There's no government leaflet, no mandatory middle-school class, no state agency that teaches you some core curriculum. Instead, we muddle along, picking up scattershot techniques as we go."

Pogue includes some simple tips involving cellphones, cameras, app phones, web stuff, editing text on a computer, and even some Mac tips. He thinks it is likely that there is going to be something on his list of tips to which you'll say, "I didn't know that!"

So click through to this article and read through Pogue's list. And even if you don't learn something new, you can still pat yourself on the back, knowing that you are very media savvy in this ever-changing world.

No comments:

Post a Comment