Tuesday, February 1, 2011

And I thought I loved fonts . . .

A few nights ago, I saw the movie trailer to Sucker Punch.



My husband said, "Wow, that looks like it could be kinda creepy or really cool, or both." At the same time, I said, "I love that font! Where do you think I could find one like it?" He just looked at me. I wasn't sure exactly what he was thinking right then, but in amongst his thoughts was probably, "Weird."

That wasn't the first time we both were looking at the same sign, movie poster, or anything with type on it, and he read the message and I saw the font. He really should be used to my rhapsodies over fonts by now.

However, before today, I thought I really liked fonts, knew a lot of stuff about them, liked trolling for new ones online, and that this made me a little odd to the rest of the world. But no. Today I found out I was functionally normal, a mere dabbler in the world of typography. Not at all consumed by the topic.

That's because I discovered the ilovetypography blog by John Boardley. And when I resurfaced two hours later, I knew I was just an unlearned novice in the world of fonts and typography. 

If you have any interest at all in the subject, visit this blog. It is a fantastic resource for all things type. Just looking at his font picks alone, you could be drooling for hours. I know that I fell in love with several fonts immediately. Plus, he has links to numerous helpful resources that will further submerge you in the world of typography. The blog will lead you to numerous type foundry sites, beautiful books about type (even a couple of kids books!), histories on typefaces, font news, and helpful hints.

So the next time someone looks at you funny for going on and on about a particularly unusual or beautiful use of typography, just know that you have company. There's lots of us out there, some more knowledgeable than others, but all of us with an appreciative eye for interesting typography.

No comments:

Post a Comment